Free Websites Kent
There are many organisations currently offering ‘free’ websites. With these services, what you are actually getting is the free use of a simple ‘content management system’ (online software used to build web pages) along with some free web hosting. All for free? Sounds too good to be true – which of course it is.
As with anything offered for free, there is always a catch. In the case of free websites:
- It is unlikely that you will actually ‘own’ your own website, which means that the service could be withdrawn at any time.
- Your website URL (address) will be something like www.mybusiness.anotherbusiness.co.uk which clearly looks unprofessional (unless you pay a premium for your own domain name – which means it’s not then free!)
- Your website will look generic and ‘template’ based, again suggesting you have made it cheaply.
- The chances are the host will want something back, and you will have to have their advertising on your website (again unless you purchase a premium option) which shrieks ‘cheap and cheerful’!
- Any flexibility you have for the design and content of your website will be severely limited.
- Oh yes, and you won’t be able to move the website to another host in the future if there are problems.
Does this matter? Yes, very much so. Nowadays, websites are not simply static ‘shop windows’, but part of a continuously developing ‘web presence’ which will include your social networks, but always with your own website as the hub. Unless you can guarantee continuity and have the flexibility for growth and change, then you will be setting yourself up for problems in the future.
As a web designer, I build bespoke websites for my clients, hosted on their own personal web space, with hosting accounts in their own names. This means that my clients all benefit from 100% ownership of and control over their websites.
But of course websites take time to build, and budgets may not stretch to the cost, especially in the case of start-ups and small businesses. So is there an alternative?
Website Setup Service
Yes! A fantastic alternative for those happy to create their own websites using a content management system (CMS), whilst maintaining full ownership and control of their website, is our Website Setup service.
Here, I do all the initial technical work for you, and even provide some initial CMS training, enabling you to build your own website, but one owned and managed entirely by you:
- You own the website.
- You have 100% full control over every single aspect, from configuration, through to design and content.
- You have your own domain name. You will be the legal registrant of the name, and no-one can take it away from you later on.
- Your website will be advertisement free (unless you want others to pay you to advertise on it).
- You can move your website to another host whenever you wish.
- Aside from your web hosting (typically starting from about £2.50 per month), you will have no third party fees to pay.
- You can invest your time and energy into developing your web presence, confident that it will always be there for you as the hub of your online marketing campaign.
Your website will be set up using the WordPress platform, the most popular website platform in use today, with the very best Content Management System (CMS) available. Learn more about WordPress.
How much does this service cost?
We charge a standard fee of £295 for our Website setup Service. What you are paying for above a ‘free’ website is basically ownership, control, freedom and flexibility.
And what exactly do I get for my money?
- Setup of your own personal web hosting account with a recommended web host.
- Registration of your own domain name (I can also suggest suitable available names).
- Setup of a main email address for you under this domain name, plus instructions on how to set up your email software.
- Installation of the WordPress content management system on your web server (includes web database setup and configuration).
- Three suggested design themes* from which you will select one, (or you can browse for and select your own) plus its installation and initial configuration.
- Installation and setup of several key ‘plugins’ (additional code modules providing enhanced functionality).
- Implementation of key security features, including a full website backup module.
- Search Engine Automisation (SEO) plugin, making it easy for you to ensure your web pages are SEO compliant and optimised for your desired keywords.
- Creation of several initial pages (not including content), including ‘About Us’, ‘Products’, etc, so you can see how it all works.
- One hour training in the use of the WordPress CMS.
*Design themes may be free or premium. Premium themes are usually desirable, and incur a purchase cost which would be met by you, typically about £30.
And the best thing is that in the future you can always ask me to provide additional training or to carry out work on the website myself if you get stuck or you don’t have the time. For this additional work I would charge at my normal rate (currently £45 per hour). I’m always fair when charging my clients, and for very small jobs I will log a half or even a quarter an hour of my time if that’s all it takes.
If this sounds like the solution you are looking for, why not email me on email@example.com or call me on 01303 770340 to learn more.